Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bach OUT!




This is the View from Kevin's Bach (his comment was who needs t.v. when you have this- meaning the view)


If you did not already know, I returned about a month ago from an epic trip back to my other motherland, Australia. On my way back stateside, I popped in on New Zealand or New Z as I refer to it! Kevin, my super-hunk Kiwi took me to his bach. Wow, I thought what is a bach? Aside from a new word I could not stop saying over and over again, i pondered..... what does it all mean? I berated Kevin for hours on the drive there with questions: "how do you spell bach?" "what is the etymology of the word?" "is it a shortened term for beach house or a bachelor pad?" I even posted on my face book status today wishing I was at the bach instead of shopping for kitty litter for my Wacky Beauty Secrets photo shoot tomorrow!



Here is some info on baches from Wikipedia (i'm mildly obsessed with Wiki)

wikipedia.org

Bach (pronounced Batch, with the alternative of Crib in the southern part of New Zealand) is the name given in New Zealand to structures akin to small, often very modest holiday homes or beach houses. They are an iconic part of New Zealand history and culture, especially in the middle of the 20th century, where they symbolized the beach holiday lifestyle that was becoming more accessible to the middle class[1].
"Bach" was originally short for bachelor pad,[citation needed] but actually they often tended to be a family holiday home. Baches started to became very popular in the 1950s, as better roads and more available cars allowed family beach holidays, often to the same beach every year, and hence to the construction of a bach in that spot. One humorous definition of the bach, is "something you built yourself, on land you don't own, out of materials you borrowed or stole."

No comments:

Post a Comment